Indoor tanning is still the best and easiest way to get gorgeous tanned skin.
It helps you to get the base tan in no time and also helps in maintaining that gorgeous tan from your vacation. The fact that weather has no rule in indoor tanning makes it more interesting.
But, if you’re thinking half an hour in the tanning salon is enough to get a jaw-dropping appeal, you’re wrong.
You need to prepare well for the tanning bed session, do tanning properly and take care of the tan after the indoor tanning session.
A good insight into the tanning bed tips and tricks can give you the sun-kissed look with little effort.
You also need to understand that tanning safely is the key and you should learn how to use a tanning bed efficiently. The mistakes you make in the tanning bed can have a long-term impact. You shouldn’t commit any such mistakes which most newbies make.
Now, you might be thinking that there is a lot to learn. Brush off your fears away, you’re in the perfect place. The indoor tanning tips we have here is enough to elevate your beauty and self-confidence.
After reading this article you will be confident enough that you’ll never end up doing something wrong at the salon.
Even if you are a beginner, the guidelines listed in this article will enable you to tan like a pro.
Finalizing the Tanning Salon
The first step in getting a good indoor tan is to get an appointment in a good tanning salon.
It’s no brainer to know that if you want to get the maximum benefits out of the time and money you are spending for a tanning session, you have to choose the best salon. Finding the best tanning salon near your area is not a herculean task.
Never choose a tanning salon just because it is near your home or workplace. Following are some points you have to keep in mind while choosing the salon.
- Cleanliness: Always make sure that the tanning salon that you choose is neat and clean. The tanning bed that you’ll be using will be drenched in the sweat of someone who has used it before. So, to avoid health risks it is better than you choose a salon that meticulously cleans the equipment after each use.You should see that the tanning beds do not have any dirty build-ups. Even if the place appears clean you should ask the people at the salon how often they clean the beds.
- Service provided: Make sure that the staff in the salon are co-operative and that they serve you the best. They should be able to give you personalized suggestions and be able to clarify your doubts. If you are a beginner, they should let you know every essential detail.The first thing that a good salon will do with a new tanner to their salon, is giving them a skin type survey. Knowledge of the skin type will help in designing a plan for achieving the desired tan. Your skin type will help you determine how long and how frequently to tan indoors.
- Ambiance: A good tanning session should make you feel relaxed. So, make sure that you choose a salon with a good vibe.
- The modernity of the equipment: Always choose the salon that has equipment which is new. Getting tanned with outdated equipment will not surely be convenient.One such example is tanning lamps. If the tanning bulbs in the salon are very old, the efficiency of the tanning bed will be minimal.
- Check out for discounts and offers: Most tanning salons give amazing discounts and offers. So, if you want to save on your tanning session, do some research.
If you want to know more about how to find the best tanning salons near you, this article will be a great read: https://tanvogue.com/tanning-salons-beds-near-me/
Now let us focus on tanning bed before and after rules.
Before Tanning Bed
Now that you have decided where to tan and has scheduled your appointment, the next step is preparing well for indoor tanning.
We always recommend preparing well in advance before using a tanning bed.
If you start the tanning bed preparation at least one week before the actual appointment date, you will enjoy an amazing tanning session. The outcome of the tanning bed session will be mind-blowing if you prepare well.
So, let’s start with how to prepare for a tanning bed:
1. Exfoliation is the Key
All the methods of tanning have one common step; its exfoliation. Removing dead skin cells is quite important to achieve a long-lasting sun-kissed look.
If you are using a tanning bed, the dead skin cells should be removed so that the UV rays can effectively penetrate.
If you are using a bronzer, to get evenly tanned you have to remove dead cells as bronzers work by darkening the old cells.
For spray tanning, removing dead cells will ensure you an even tan.
For exfoliating your skin, you can either use a body pouf with a gentle soap or exfoliating creams. It is good if you exfoliate your skin for about a week if you are a beginner.
2. Never say “NO” to Indoor Tanning Lotions
A good indoor tanning lotion protects the moisture levels in our skin, allow opening up of pores in our skin and magnifying the exposure to UV rays. The film of natural oils in the lotion act as a prism that magnifies the effect of UV rays.
These lotions enhance the tanning process by magnifying, moisturizing and conditioning our skin. The importance of moisturizing the skin is that, if the skin is dry a significant part of the UV rays simply get reflected and thus will be wasted.
The tanning solution is enriched with those minerals and vitamins that are essential for the biological process of tanning to happen. Here is a list of our recommended indoor tanning lotions.
Do not use outdoor tanning lotions as it can damage the tanning bed. Moreover, they are for preventing sunburn.
Other things to do before coming for an indoor tanning session are:
- Remove your make up: As make up can interfere with the tanning process, avoid its usage.
- Do not use deodorants and perfumes: The photosensitive ingredients in these could result in rashes, blotching, burning sensations or uneven tanning.
- Remove all jewelry before tanning: For an even tan, remove all jewelry before indoor tanning. If you wear any kind of jewelry you will end up having white spots where the jewelry rested against your skin after the tan.
- Remove eyeglasses and contact lenses: The heat generated from the tanning bed will damage contact lenses and spectacles.
- While spray tanning, apply petroleum jelly around your fingernails to prevent excess color buildup in there.
- To avoid your lips from getting burnt, apply an SPF lip balm.
Let me tell you that these are some of the common mistakes most people commit. Reaching the tanning salon with makeups and perfumes is not an ideal scenario.
But I’m sure that you will not commit those mistakes.
Let us now check the tips to follow during the tanning session.
Tanning Bed Tips
All your preparation for tanning will go in vain if you don’t know how to use a tanning bed.
- Safety should always be your first priority. Use protective goggles for preventing UV rays from harming your eyes. If you are spray tanning, eye goggles can help you prevent the sprays from entering your eyes.
- Always keep your mouth shut while you are amidst tanning procedure. This will make sure that you don’t ingest spray. Likewise, don’t inhale the product.
- You can either wear some clothing or you can tan nude. It is your preference. Make sure that the sensitive parts are covered either for a limited time or for your entire session to avoid unpleasant burns. For this, things like nipple covers can be utilized. Here is an overview of tanning nude: https://tanvogue.com/nude-tanning/
- If you’re wondering how to tan faster in a tanning bed, there are ways to do so. If you make small changes in your body position while tanning, you can easily tan faster and evenly. Don’t lie completely still on a tanning bed. Move your arms and legs slightly to maximize exposure to all parts of your body.
- Stand up tanning beds are another great way to get a fast sun-kissed look.
- While you are lying down, do not rest your chin against your chest. This will end up giving a white spot under your neck as your chin will block the UV rays. For an even tan, lay your head back, allowing exposure to all parts of your face and neck.
- If you are spray tanning, use a sponge after applying the spray tan on your back to make sure that it is evenly covered.
- there is nothing as boring as an uneven tan. Here are some of the best positions to lay in a tanning bed to get even tan. I highly recommend you to go through this article.
Tips To Follow after the Tanning Session
If you follow all those stuff I have detailed above, you will definitely get a dark tan. But that’s not the end of the story.
Don’t you want to retain that tan for a fairly long period?
If so, pay attention and read carefully:
- Use a tan extender after tanning. These lotions can help you retain your tan last longer. These usually come packed with bronzers which can give you a little extra color and contain ingredients that keep your skin look really smooth.Moisturized will maintain the tan for a longer time than dry skin. Don’t forget to apply a body lotion straight away after each indoor tanning session and moisturize after every shower.
- Make sure that you select the body lotion based on your skin type. Choose a deep penetrating lotion if you have dry skin and a lightweight lotion for normal to oily skin.
- If you have spray-tanned, do not put your clothes until the spray has dried. Try to use flip-flops instead of shoes so that the spray doesn’t get wasted if it hasn’t dried. Here is an amazing guide on after spray tan tips: https://tanvogue.com/spray-tan-aftercare/
- Remember that the melanin in your skin continues to absorb the UV radiation long after you have left the tanning bed. This means that your skin will continue getting tanned for hours after your tanning session.So you should avoid the shower for a few hours after the tanning session. This will enable your tan to come faster. The color will also deepen. After bathing, do not wipe using a towel. Instead, pat your skin with it.Here is a great article on showering after tanning: Right time to shower after Tanning
Some general tips:
- Usually, it takes about 10 sessions to get an elegant deep tan all over your body. If you have fair skin, make it a point to not spend more than 20 minutes in the tanning bed.Fair skins can’t endure twenty minutes tanning session. When you start, the maximum exposure you have should be six and seven minutes. If you are totally fine, you can start extending the time up to ten minutes.
- You can go for another session the following day if your skin doesn’t turn pink or red within 24 hours of your first session.But if you find your skin dry or with rashes or itchiness, it is advised that you discontinue. Wait until your skin has come back to normal. Generally, it is not recommended to go tanning two days in a row.
- Once you’ve got the color you wish for, going to the salon just twice or thrice a week will be adequate.
- Start slowly and increase your time gradually. Many people have the false assumption that more time is better and that if you get an initial burn, you’ll tan fast.
- Most tanning professionals recommend 48 hours interval between tans. This will actually give your skin time to heal and adjust. This will not slow down the tanning process, instead, it hastens it.
- Threading and waxing of eyebrows and lips should be done before the tanning session. If not, tan lines will become visible clearly.
- Avoid sweating, getting wet, swimming or exercising until you have taken your first shower after your spray tan. If you get wet it may cause you to streak.
- Avoid indoor tanning when you are pregnant.
- While tanning, if you have tattoos, get the lotions which can enhance the radiance of your tattoos and prevent them from getting dim.
- If you are on medication, make sure that the medicines do not react with UV rays and sprays.
- Is ‘raccoon eyes’ bothering you? Well, not anymore. You can avoid getting raccoon eyes by gently adjusting your goggles while you tan. But don’t ever take your goggles completely off your face while you are in the tanning bed.
To avail the best service, make it a point to co-operate with the staff in the salon. Be kind to your receptionist. Why am I saying this? She is the one who controls the appointments and can give you hints as to when new deals or promotions will be coming along.
Each time you leave the salon; don’t forget to take away the waste packets of lotion or any such items. This will help the staff clean easily (They’ll love you). That’ll help other customers too.
Always book an appointment if you have a time frame you need to stick onto, especially during peak hours. As tanning should be a time for you to relax, do not choose a schedule that will make things hectic.
Stick the tips we have provided above and you’re all set to get that golden tan in no time.
If you have any doubts, comment below. We are more than glad to help you!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing that smile on your face after having a wonderful tanning session.
My name is Stella Cristin, the owner of Tan Vogue. I am in love with beauty and health products. My great passion is to help people learn about tanning. Read More