Planning a wedding can be pretty chaotic as you are required to squeeze a million little things into a week’s worth of time. Between all the rehearsals, cake tastings and the last minute shopping, a bride surely needs her pampering time to look her best.
Apart from the basics like makeup and hair, one thing that every bride needs to keep a close check on, is her tan.
It’s no brainer that multiple things going on, planning a sun tanning session is pretty much impossible. However, worry not because there are so many alternatives available for you.
Having an awesome spray tan is one of those many options that leave a light orange-tint, which most certainly looks beautiful on every skin tone.
As a bride, you would surely want your skin to be glowing and smooth for the big day and trust us – nothing works as well as a spray tan that leaves you looking like a Golden Goddess.
Fortunately for many, a faux tan is not such a bad idea, given its flawless finishing. We recommend that you go for a lace wedding dress or a backless gown to show off your rich and natural-looking bronze glow.
Spray Tan for Wedding; Is it a Yes or No?
I know that feeling.
When the D-day arrives faster than you had imagined, chances are that you get tensed. There are many brides who get a panic attack just from the thought of the big day.
It’s very common that most of the brides ask this question:
Should I say Yes or No for Spray tan just before Wedding?
Let me tell you that if you want to have a glowing tan on the wedding day, but not enough time, then spray tan will be your savior.
Looking at celebrities sporting a bronze glow with their bridal dresses tells us you should too. Kim Kardashian went for a tanned look under her Givenchy dress by getting a luxurious diamond dust spray tan.
The recent Royal wedding of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry also gave us some inspiration. Originally with a mixed heritage, Meghan has a natural bronze look that helps add definition to her features and the tanned beauty looked absolutely ethereal on her big day wearing a classic Givenchy gown.
If you don’t get enough time to be under the sun lately and do not want to look pale, you should set up an appointment for your first spray tanning session ASAP.
When to get a Spray Tan Before Wedding?
You might already know that the scheduling of the spray tanning session is very important. This is because it takes some time for the DHA to work and develop the tan.
Below are some of the important things you should take care of:
- If you are worried about the tan turning out to look disastrous, you should plan well in advance by getting a trial or get a patch test to be sure of it.
- You should ensure that you go to a professional spray tanning salon to ensure the tan turns out looking natural.
- A fresh spray tan right before your big day might look unnatural. However, giving it some time to balance out with your natural skin color will make it look far more realistic.
- Some pre-tan prepping is essential to give your skin a smooth finish.
- Getting a tan very close to your wedding will leave you with no time to allow the color to fade.
- Don’t forget to plan out a dress fitting with your tanning trial session to see the kind of color that best suits your bridal dress.
Your spray tan trial will also help you understand how long to wait before getting a spray tan. However, the ideal way is to achieve the flawless bronze color by developing it over a few days. If you are self-tanning, you can build on the product for a golden glow.
Furthermore, as you shower after spray tan session, your tan starts to wash off, producing a faded yet gorgeous color. But keep in mind, the tan may not fade evenly and may cause blotchy marks. Make sure to go 2 days in advance to get the perfect faded look by your second and third day.
Tan Vogue recommends to have a spray tan 48 hours before your wedding day. This time frame gives enough time for the tan to develop and the DHA to wash off. Moreover, you don’t have to worry aobut the spray tan bronzers spoiling your wedding dress.
What remains will be subtle tan and glowing skin.
The Importance of Bridal Spray Tan Trials
If it is your first time getting a tan, that too, for your big day, you would not want to ruin it.
Most tanning therapists suggest mixing light and dark shades to achieve the ravishing golden glow.
The trial also provides you with the opportunity to ask the therapist questions like how to preserve the tan and how long to wait before getting it done in time for the big day.
You should have an idea of what kind of tan you’re looking for. Most of the brides want a subtle tan; not a darker one. You don’t want to look too much bronzed in your wedding dress.
I am sure that the trials and patch test before the wedding will be an eye-opener for you. It will give you the best option.
We advise you to start the trials at least a couple of weeks before the marriage. Remember, there should be proper preparation from your end for the spray tan. If not, all the efforts you put in will go in vain.
Spray Tan Wedding Dress
There is nothing that makes a bride happier than finding a dream wedding dress. But I will ask you to have some patience.
It is very important to not go on your wedding dress hunt immediately after a spray tan trial as it can rub off onto the clothes.
You might ask me, can I go for wedding dress shopping after taking the first shower. My answer would still be an ‘N0’.
A fresh spray tan is much darker than the actual faded one. This means you might not get a good idea on how you will look on the wedding day.
However, it is a great idea to finalize the spray tan you want at least 5 days before your wedding dress shopping. This will give you a better idea of how well the tan complements your dress.
It will also help you make the final call on whether you want a tanned look at your wedding or not.
How to Decide on the Perfect Tan Shade for Your Wedding?
Most tanning specialists suggest observing your skin in the last couple of days. This helps you decide whether you want to go darker or lighter with the tan.
Your trial session will also provide you with the opportunity to decide which shade looks best on you.
Additionally, you may also start the session going lighter on the shade to see how well it looks on you. Then, you can build on the product to achieve the desired glow. You can also show the tanning specialist a picture of the kind of tan you want and they will be more than happy to assist you with it.
Spray Tan for Bridesmaids?
This is another genuine question most of the brides will have in their mind when the big day nears. But, I leave this one to you. I don’t have any tips for you when it comes to bridesmaids spray tanning.
But, there is one thing you should think before asking your friends to get spray tan.
You should think about the photos and their dress for the wedding. If you feel a darker tone matches with their dress, you can suggest them to have their skin tanned.
What to Wear to My Spray Tan Session?
To get the perfect tanned body, you will be required to strip down to your undergarments, removing all pieces of clothing and any jewels that you could be wearing. Make sure to wear an old pair that you do not mind destroying.
A lot of tanning salons offer disposable underwear that will save you from losing your favorite pair.
Before going to your session, avoid wearing any deodorant or perfume that could work as a barrier between your body, and the spray tan.
You can also read Tan Vogue’s guide on spray tan dress for a better understanding about this.
How Should I Maintain Spray Tan for Wedding?
Made the mistake of getting a spray tan far before the actual day and now you’re left with an uneven tan? Worry not.
It is quite common for the tan to lose its glow, but there are ways to take care of it.
- You can use Bronzing lotions in areas where the tan has come off to keep it looking fresh.
- It is best to discuss the post-tanning instructions with the specialist as each product works differently. Here is our expert take on spray tan aftercare: https://tanvogue.com/spray-tan-aftercare/
- Use lighter products while showering, especially when going for a soap water bath.
- Use the post-spray tan moisturizes to increase the longevity of the color.
- Do not exercise immediately after the spray tan as the sweat can cause the tan to wear off.
- Remember, you should follow proper guidelines from the tanning technician regarding waxing and shaving. If not, you might probably end with the result you don’t want.
- Using makeup after spray tanning session should also be as per the feedback from your spray tan assistant. Generally speaking, you’re not allowed to use makeups just after the tanning session. But you can start using after a couple of days. This means you should plan your tanning session accordingly.
We advise you to read our spray tan tips for a greater understanding on what to do and not to do for your bridal spray tanning. Here is the link: https://tanvogue.com/spray-tan-tips/
Will Spray Tan Rub Off on my Wedding Dress?
Yes and No.
The answer to this solely depends on how early or late you had your tanning sessions. Wedding spray tans should ideally be allowed to fade to give a natural look. This also prevents the tan from rubbing off.
Brides tend to spend thousands of Dollars on their stunning white dresses and we bet you would not want them to turn orange and brown with the excess product.
Typically, showering twice after the spray tan can be a great way to prevent this. However, as mentioned earlier, be careful as showering may leave you with white splotches, so try to go with products that can help maintain the color.
On the day of your wedding, spray some talcum powder on to the areas where you sweat the most to prevent the color from getting on to your dress.
How To Protect Spray Tanning?
Here are some easy tips to follow if you are looking for how to protect your spray tan:
- Refrain from wearing any tight piece of clothing that could cause the tint to rub off.
- This means you will have to let go of your socks, leggings, and boots.
- You may replace these with loosely fitted outfits that will keep your spray tan looking fresh and evenly coated.
- Opt for dark colored clothing so that even if the tint rubs off onto them, it will not be visible.
- Lastly, a fresh spray tan can smudge, spreading to areas you do not want it in. Don’t forget to apply a coat of nail polish to prevent nail staining. You would not want ugly looking nails on your big day.
Can I Self-Tan For My Wedding?
Once again, Yes and No. The answer to this depends on how well skilled you are. If you have prior experience of tanning and you are satisfied with the results, then why not? The best part is that it will help you save up on time and money.
L’Oréal Paris Sublime Bronze Hydrating Self-Tanning Milk is one of the best products you can use if you are comfortable with self-tanners.
This is a gradual tanner enriched with hydrating Vitamin E. The L’Oréal product provides an even, streak-free sunless tan in few weeks time.
I am sure that you will find amazing results if you start using the lotion at least a couple of weeks before your wedding date.
However, the best results are achieved through the spray tan method which requires professional spray machines and an in-salon service. For a spray tan, you will require some assistance and it is best to call a tan specialist to do yours while being in the comfort of your own house.
Pale and light-colored skin often looks dull with a white wedding dress. Going tan, the wedding dress will surely stand out against your bronze and glowing skin. Getting a spray tan will only help contour all the right places to help you look gorgeous on your main day. The result of your tan wedding dress pictures will surely make you thank your stars.
Tanning was popularized by a number of celebrities who cannot get enough of it and we’re sure that you’ll love it too.
Before I sign off, let me wish you the best for your wedding and the years to come. Happy married life!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing that smile on your face after having a wonderful tanning session.
My name is Stella Cristin, the owner of Tan Vogue. I am in love with beauty and health products. My great passion is to help people learn about tanning. Read More
Latest posts by Stella Cristin (see all)
- Should You Tan before or After Workout? - March 16, 2019
- Spray Tan before Wedding : Do’s and Don’ts for Brides - March 14, 2019
- Washing Off Spray Tan too Early - March 10, 2019