Spray tanning comes with a double delight- immediate effect and convenience.
Therefore chances are high that one gets tempted and grab a spray tan bottle at the earliest. However, if you go for the wrong shade in a hurry, it can totally produce an opposite effect and make your complexion look completely fake.
If you can spare five minutes to go through the following spray tan color guide just before you dash to the store, your purchase would be rewarding.
What Determines Your Final Skin Color?
If you have learned spray tan tips from an expert(if not, read Tan Vogue Spray tan Tips), they might have already stressed the importance of spray tan shades chart.
Before you delve into the diverse range of fake tan shades, you need to know that your final skin color after spray tanning is determined by a combination of your skin pigmentation, DHA level in the tanning solution, depth of your skin color and the amount of application of the product.
Spray Tan Color Chart based on Skin Tones
When it comes to fake tan color chart, there is no factor that has more say than your skin color.
Even if you ignore all other factors, still bare minimum care for your skin shade will take you a long mile ahead of your peers.
Below is an overview on which color to choose for spray tanning based on your skin tone:
- Very Fair to Fair Skin Tone– Fair or very pale skinned people may go for one shade lighter tan in the beginning. A soft golden based spray tan is an excellent option to try out. If you want to look darker in the following sessions, go for violet or red based spray tans as they offer a super brown skin tone.
- Medium Skin Tone– Medium skinned people should aim for a bronze or exact sun-kissed look. As they just need to enhance their default look, they can go for classic, caramel, sunset or colorless tans to look more exotic.
- Dark to very Dark Tone– It is a myth that dark-skinned people need not tan. Dark skinned people can make their looks more defined by either going for a chocolate shade or a natural classic shade with a golden glow.
- You can also customize your experience by choosing and mixing your favorite colors. For instance, adding blue-black or dark ash shade to your solution will give you a super tanned Mediterranean look.
Color Tones based on Skin Undertones
The word ‘undertone’ can be confusing to many. People tend to mistake it for the complexion. It deals basically with the pigmentation of the skin. Based on undertones, skin pigmentation can be cool, warm or neutral. You can explore your pigmentation and deepen your understanding of your skin tone.
- Cool Undertone– Pink or bluish-red skin appearance
- Warm Undertone– Basically yellowish skin appearance
- Neutral Undertone– Primarily grey skin appearance
Bronze colorants are added to the tanning solutions to change the undertones. For instance, violet-based or red based or green based additives are bronzer colorants to make your undertones neutral and thereby changing your complexion.
Color Tones based on DHA
DAH or dihydroxyacetone is an active component in all the tanning sprays that induces a brown color in the skin tone. Check for the DHA level before you purchase the product. It usually ranges from 5 % to 20 %. The more the DHA level, the darker the skin would be.
Spray Tan Color Tones based on Seasons
As seasons, change, your background changes too! And the best way to present yourself appealing is to go mix-and-match with the surroundings. Another alluring aspect of this experience is that along with seasonal color tones, you can also get incentives like seasonal fragrances.
Here you go!
- Winter– Opt for light color tones in winter as it goes well with all sorts of winter clothing. As the days are shorter, the sun sets early and the sky dons a dull color, light shades are advisable in this season.
|Color Suggestions: Classic, Caramel, Soft golden|
- Summer– As the summer is bright and high-spirited, go for dark color tones in this shimmering season to get the sun-kissed summer glow on your skin.
|Color Suggestions: Dark brown, Dark ash, Orange, Chocolate|
- Spring– Choose a dark shade for to match with the sparkling glow of the season. It goes amazingly well with the sunny sky.
|Color Suggestions: Sunset, brown, chocolate|
- Rainy Season– Pick a water-resistant light hue that suits your skin tone as the seasonal background would be cloudy and dull.
|Color Suggestions: Soft Golden, Cocoa butter, Classic|
- All Seasons– If you are not too picky at cosmetics and cannot spend much time shopping, you can go for a medium shade for all seasons.
|Color suggestions: Classic, Caramel, Mink|
Spray Tan Shades with Additional Features
Today, you are so fortunate that your favorite shade can also offer you some incentives too. Your deal would be all the more exciting if you look for these added benefits:
- Fragrance- Today, spray tans are available on the market with a wide range of scents including citrus, floral, white musk, coconut and so on to give a pleasant aroma to your body.
- Chemical-free- If you are so particular about using chemical free products, your condition can be met with the arrival of organic spray tans on the market which are also free of paraben and alcohol.
- Free of artificial colors- If you find the colored spray tans too fake and still crave for that original tanned look, you can go for colorless and invisible spray tans.
- Anti-aging properties- Many spray tans with skin-lifting and wrinkle-free properties are readily available in the stores at the moment. Along with the sparkling glow, they hydrate the skin and make it look supple.
Finding the spray tan colors that match with your skin is one of the most important steps in spray tan preparation.
Being an ardent user of fake spray tans, I can assure you that with the introduction of an array of loud and subtle shades of spray tans by the tanning industry, you can flaunt your body in multiple styles and shades.
If asked my personal opinion, as a fair to medium skinned person, I prefer the mink or classic shade with a golden glow since it gives me a natural finish to my tanned look. And I would also like to add that I wouldn’t choose orange based spray tans as they give me a heavily tanned look.
As ‘tomorrow never comes’ don’t wait for tomorrow.
Seize the day and choose your shade right away!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing that smile on your face after having a wonderful tanning session.
My name is Stella Cristin, the owner of Tan Vogue. I am in love with beauty and health products. My great passion is to help people learn about tanning. Read More
Latest posts by Stella Cristin (see all)
- Can You Get Vitamin D from a Tanning Bed? - May 14, 2019
- Can You Go Tanning 2 Days in a row? - May 11, 2019
- Reasons Why You Should never try Tanning Without Goggles in Sunbed - May 10, 2019