Grabbing that golden glow without sweating or straining is the dream of many. Without any second opinion, spray tan is the ultimate fake tan you can get.
The results depend fairly on the quality of the product you choose, the salon and most importantly, the care you take.
Once you decide over the spray tan color and have the session after proper preparation many think that their job is done.
The more you care your tan, the honey glow will last for long. To ensure the longevity and evenness of the tan, you need to be extra cautious and must be aware of what to do after a spray tan.
Guys worry not; I’m here to help you out with some amazing after spray tan tips.
Read along to feel the glow.
Spray Tan Aftercare Tips- Things to do
The ways we care for anything differ according to time progress. The same applies here also.
We have already explained how to prepare for a spray tan. Post-Spray tan care is equally important and is one of the main factors that define the development of your tan.
Let’s have a deeper look into the tips according to the time of tan development.
The most important time after tan is 4 to 8 hours after the tanning session. You need to be vigil and protect the spray.
This is the time when the color as such starts to develop and becomes the base. If you are careless at this peak hours, no matter what kind of products or procedures you take later, the result will make you sad.
Before we start with the tips, I have one more thing to say:
If you take care of the spray tan like a professional, it means three things:
- Longer spray tan life
- Less tanning schedules
- Cost cutting
With that in mind, let’s start with the tips:
Immediate Care – First 8 Hours
As I said before, how you take care of your skin in the first 4-8 hours after spray tanning will be the difference between an orange patchy skin and an amazing golden tan.
Here are the few things that you should follow immediately after the tanning session:
- Stay away from water. Do not engage in the washing of feet or hands immediately after the session. Stay away from activities that make you sweat. Say no to the gym, swim or run.
- In case of rainy weather, even if it is droplets, carry an umbrella. Even a few drops of water can cause spots of discoloration on your skin.
- Use only baggy and loose clothes. Do not use your tight undergarments especially bra at least for 4 hours after the session. It will cause you blotches, streaks or bra lines if you pay no attention.
- You must only wear the clothes once you feel that the liquid is absorbed enough into your skin. And use dark clothes and undergarments which you are not concerned about in the case of staining. For more details on spray tan clothing, you can read our article https://tanvogue.com/what-to-wear-to-a-spray-tan/
- Do not use deodorants and perfumes immediately. The presence of alcohol and aluminum in these products will react with your spray tan resulting in uneven spots and blotches.
- Wear flipflops, not shoes and long boots. Shoes and boots can hamper the chemicals sprayed and will restrict the development of tan on your feet.
- Don’t sweat: Don’t indulge in any activities that will make you sweat out and thus destroying the sprays.
- Do not undo your hair immediately as it will obstruct proper tanning in your shoulders and knees.
- Ask for expert advice from the salon regarding the lotion, soaps or anything else to be used thereafter.
- Let the pedicure and manicure wait till your color settles down. Because as it is understood, these procedures include water and will soak your skin. This will lead to patchy removal of the color, which is awkward.
- Do not apply Moisturizers immediately after getting the spray tan.
Many have a serious concern regarding when and how to have the shower after the spray tan. The concern is quite obvious and is necessary. As mentioned above, water is the major enemy that can reduce the effect of spray can make your session worthless.
- Do not shower within 8 hours of the session. Most of the product develops over time. Be patient enough to garb that amazing look you longed for.
- Let the water be of lukewarm temperature. The hot bath is always tempting and relaxing, but for the spray tan, it is a nightmare. Do not cleanse your skin thoroughly.
- Do not use loofahs 0r washcloths.
- Once you hit the shower, let it be brief and simple. Rinse gently under 3 minutes without using any bathing products, including soaps and shower gels. Schedule your hair wash at least 2 days after the tan session.
- After 24 hours you can have a regular yet quick shower using pH balance soap and products. Please stay away from Dove products as it damages the tan produces. Ensure that your lubricating product is pH balanced.
- Do not exfoliate until you pass 24 hours after tanning. Hair removal is not at all advisable. Even if engaged it exfoliation, let it be very gentle. In case of emergency hair removal, stay away from a dull razor. Grab a new blade to reduce the possibility of patchy fading of the tan.
- Once you have showered, you will notice the bronzer washing away, leaving you looking tanned and glowing underneath. Don’t panic, this is completely natural. Keep in mind that the tan will develop for the next 12 to 24 hours.
- Every single time you shower, ensure that you are simply pat drying yourself using a soft towel. DO NOT rub your skin and create unnecessary friction.
And then comes the importance of a moisturizer. Once you take your shower and the product shows fading, you must hydrate your skin properly to keep the caramel hue intact.
For a long-lasting sun-kissed glow moisturization is the key. Hydrate your skin with a non-oil based moisturizing cream or lotion.
You should always consider chemical free products. Make sure that you do deep moisturization twice a day.
The more moisturization and care your skin receives, more will be the life of the tan and the natural look. Let the product be gentle and light so that your skin can breathe and you don’t generate any acne or blemishes.
You can find some of the best tan extenders to use after spray tan here.
Along with outer moisturization, inner hydration is an important aspect to retain the shine in your skin.
Drink at least 12 ounces of water a day. Include juicy fruits and vegetables in your diet. Intake of vitamin will ensure the shine and glow of your skin.
Do consult with the salon in case of any doubt regarding the after tan lotion, which might depend on the product they used on you.
Spray tan is no alternative to sunscreen. Every time you hit the road, do wear a non-oil based sunscreen to protect your skin. Anything with more than SPF 15 is recommended. You can find better products made for after tan care in the market.
Watch Out For These Products
One of the most important things you should learn in spray tan rules is to get rid off dangerous and harmful products.
Once you realize the importance of proper aftercare after a spray tan, you need to make sure that the products you use are also complementing the bronze shade you achieved. Now I’m going to mention all those blacklisted products that will ruin your work. Stay away from these and be cautious.
- Anti-acne products with Salicylic acid and Accutane that will dry out and exfoliate your skin.
- Anti-aging products that might affect your skin layer.
- Avoid chances of cuts and wounds because Band-Aids and adhesive tapes can pull out your tan.
- Bar soaps and shower gel with antibacterial and deodorant properties.
- BHA products.
- Body hair bleaching products.
- A facial mask, exfoliating scrub, and shaving gel.
- Alcohol-based toner.
- Moisturizers with mineral oil, paraffin wax, parabens, and other petroleum products.
Other Important Stuff to Follow
We have seen the key things that matter after the spray tanning session. There are a few more things one should focus on to enhance the proper development of the tan.
Let me jot them down for you:
- Don’t indulge in outdoor activities like swimming pools, outdoor games etc. Sweating out have a negative impact on the development of the tan.
- If you are planning to shave, wait at least 4-6 days. Shaving immediately after spray tanning will remove the chemicals. You can find more details on shaving after spray tan here: https://tanvogue.com/spray-tan-shaving/
- Waxing also follows the same path as shaving. Although spray tan after waxing is a great idea, the opposite is not true. You need to wait at least 4 days to wax after getting a spray tan.
- Do not exfoliate excessively for the first three days.
- Avoid Dove soap and bar soaps as they are known for fading tans.
- Do not schedule any spay treatments for the next 5 days.
- Care should be taken to not use body oils, mineral oils or oily SPF sprays over your spray tan
Schedule Your Next Appointment
Scheduling your next spray tanning appointment should be the next thing in your checklist.
Yeah, you can get a good tan even with one spray tan session. But it will fade off in around 10 days time. Depending upon your requirement, plan your next session properly.
You have to prepare well before a spray tan. So, plan and execute it properly.
Ready to Implement Tan Vogue’s After Spray Tan Tips?
I guess by far you might have realized how important post-tan care is. Even the usual and regular kinds of stuff sound chaotic when we consider spray tan.
Consider doing a trial tan 2 to 3 weeks before any special occasion and repeat the same with needed changes as the occasion reaches. Do not forget the prep part before each session.
If you want the money and time you invest in spray tanning worth, you should learn how to take care of a spray tan. In order to keep that pain and strain-free tan look for long, you do need to be cautious and proactive.
Remember, it’s your responsibility to take care of the spray tan. Neither the salon or the technician is responsible for its development. Moreover, you can’t hold them responsible if the tan fades away because of your lack of caring.
Even smaller steps can ensure longevity and glow of the tan.
Let your bronze look speak boldly!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing that smile on your face after having a wonderful tanning session.
My name is Stella Cristin, the owner of Tan Vogue. I am in love with beauty and health products. My great passion is to help people learn about tanning. Read More
Latest posts by Stella Cristin (see all)
- Can You Get Vitamin D from a Tanning Bed? - May 14, 2019
- Can You Go Tanning 2 Days in a row? - May 11, 2019
- Reasons Why You Should never try Tanning Without Goggles in Sunbed - May 10, 2019