Tanning in the evening hours, especially after 5 PM has been a debatable topic since long. Many believe it is of no use. But there are also others who find solace in those hours.
In this article, we will see whether can you get a tan after 5 pm or not.
Natural glow must come naturally. Many among us always prefer things to be done in a natural manner.
The same applies when it comes to the procedure of tanning. Nature provides the cheapest and effective method to let your skin shine with a caramel hue.
It is obvious that to get that sun-kissed skin you must let the mighty Sun kiss you!
However, even after long discussions on how to get a healthy tan naturally, there are still many myths to be broken and queries to be answered and this is one such myth.
Before digging further, let me tell you that the answer to your question is a simple YES, provided the sun is still out.
So is that it?
No, to get the maximum out of anything you must know everything about it.
Let us talk about basking without baking yourself!
What’s up with this ‘after 5 pm’
The intensity of sunrays is not the same throughout the day.
Time from 10 am to 4 pm is considered as the peak time during which the rays from the sun reach the maximum strength. It is the hottest time of the day regardless of the season.
Long time exposure to high UV intense rays are harmful to the living beings (sunburn) and in extreme case, it will lead to skin cancer.
On the contrast, the time before 10 am and after 4 pm is of the low UV index. The intensity of sun rays are less and are of less harm (not harmless) as the rays are not direct as in peak hours. Still, these rays can give you tan and with longer exposure, a burn too.
When tanning is considered people have different opinions and time preferences. When you are planning a sunbathing session, you are aiming at getting a tan and not a burn, isn’t it?
If you are not taking proper precautions and preparations, tanning during the peak hours will result in a sunburn rather than a healthy tan. This makes the evening and morning sunbathe sessions more popular.
Also, the time after 5 pm is considered widely as a free time where one can spend maximum on recreation and relaxation.
Why Choose Time after 5 for Tanning
This question has a very subjective answer. However, for some particular set of people, this timing is a blessing.
If you are extremely pale or fair skin, you might have noticed that your skin turns red when exposed to sun whether for short or long time. It is just because of the fact that naturally, your skin is very sensitive.
You might also have the fear that artificial means of tanning except sprays are not at all safe. (To be honest, if you find healthy tanning beds, they are also safe)
When considering sunbathe, peak hours are dangerous, even if you cut short the duration of the session.
So the safest and efficient alternative is choosing a timeslot before 10 or after 4 when the UV index is less harming. You can do the simple “shadow rule”. The taller your shadow than you, the weaker the UV rays!
This applies in the case of a beginner also. Tanning after 5 pm will build the base tan gradually and will result in healthy glowing skin. This is the safest way to start your journey through the numerous methods of achieving the gorgeous bronze look.
In case you are a skin cancer survivor or is taking medicines which increase your photosensitivity, you need to seek medical advice prior to hitting sunbathe session.
Tips for Getting a Tan after 5 pm
By far you might have guessed that this is not the quickest way to get a tan and it requires patience along with time. But without any hesitation, one can choose to tan after 5 pm as the safest and promising option.
Once you decide on the time, you must prep properly before and after each session to ensure finer results. Now I would like to share with you some tips and tricks to consider for the same.
- Exfoliate and prepare your skin prior to each tanning session. Make sure that you have gently removed your dead skin. Use your favorite scrub and have a shower the day before. Lock in the moisture using a moisturizer twice a day.
- Do not skip SPF. Regardless of the intensity of rays you need to use a sun protecting cream of SPF 10 or 15 for safe tanning without burning your skin. You can use a tanning lotion if needed. We need that sun-kissed look, not the sunburnt look.
- A pair of sunglasses is recommended to protect your eyes.
- Each session will be longer compared to the same during peak hours (maximum 20 minutes). But start slow and increase the time. Beginners can start with 10-minute session and increase by 3 to 5 minutes once you are comfortable.
- It depends on the season anyway. A summer evening will give you double the results compared to one in autumn days.
- Flipsides for even tanning. Adjust your position according to tan development.
- Drink at least 12 ounces of water daily. You need to keep your body hydrated since you are losing water via sweating. In case you feel dizziness, headache or symptoms of tiredness like lethargy or your skin feel irritated or itchy immediately get out of the sun. You are advised to reduce your sessions then onwards. Do not overdo anything!
- A rinse(shower) followed by pat drying after sunbathing will make sure that you haven’t clogged your pores or irritated the blemishes. Use Aloe Vera gel on the sunburn, if any.
- Be regular with the time to ensure similar strength rays always. Once you have built up the needed color, reduce the number of sessions. You don’t need to overdo it. Have the sessions decreased to twice or thrice a week to maintain the shade.
- Using top quality products is very important. You should try to use tanning oils and outdoor tanning lotions to fasten up tanning. If deep darkening is what you’re looking for, you can find the product you need here: https://tanvogue.com/best-tanning-oil-reviews/ . Using natural products is also a great idea if you want to get away from allergic reactions.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Post 5 PM Tanning
I’m jotting down some noted pros and cons on choosing the time slot after 5 pm for sunbathing.
- It is the most suitable tanning time for sensitive or fair skinned people.
- Will provide a less hot environment.
- Comfortable time period.
- Tan without harming your skin.
- Cheap and effective relaxation.
- Need more time per session.
- Tan will be generated gradually. Need more sessions.
- Requires patience.
- Is exposed to seasonal fluctuations.
Tanning after 5 in a Tanning Bed
Most of the experienced tanners know that tanning after 5 PM in a tanning bed is never going to be a problem. In fact, it is one of the best time of a day to tan outside.
Tanning from sunbeds is purely through the tanning bulbs or lamps and it has nothing to do with the intensity of sun rays and the exposure you get through them is even.
The bottom line is even if it is 6 PM or 3 PM, you don’t have to worry about using a tanning bed.
So, Can You Tan in the Evening?
It is completely personal when it comes for the means, time results of tanning. Choose according to your priority. If you have sensitive skin or are free, this time slot is apt for you. Do not forget the basic skin prepping routine.
Just lie down and relax.
Grab the natural tan that people envy!
Nothing makes me happier than seeing that smile on your face after having a wonderful tanning session.
My name is Stella Cristin, the owner of Tan Vogue. I am in love with beauty and health products. My great passion is to help people learn about tanning. Read More
Latest posts by Stella Cristin (see all)
- How to Tan Faster in a Tanning Bed - July 20, 2019
- Nude Tanning Guide: Tips to Follow while Tanning Naked - July 19, 2019
- Tanning Tips for Guys : Ultimate Male Tanning Guide - June 10, 2019